I just watched Us!
This is a spoiler-free review (Above the Read More Line that hopefully doesn’t disappear)
1. Supernatural or psychological or metaphorical in someway? It’s got a lot going on with some supernatural elements and it has something to say about society.
2. How scary was it? Scary, suspenseful. The villains are creepy and the plot keeps you on the edge of your seat. 8/10
3. Jump scares or nah? A little bit, I would say, occasionally somethings do just pop out.
4. Is there blood and gore? There is a good amount of blood but nothing stomach-churning (at least for me). Actually, a pretty violent movie.
5. On a scale of 1 – 10 (10 being Alien: Covenant), how dumb were the characters? Not very dumb! There was maybe one or two scenes where things took longer than they should have to sink in for a character, and there was one scene where they were arguing over something fairly trivial instead of getting the fuck out of there. 2/10
6. Does that story make logical sense if you think about it too long? I think so. The backstory is something you think about afterwards, but I think it holds up.
This movie was good as hell and everything in it is beautiful. The cinematography is just amazing, and there are so many shots that stick in the brain.
Some of my favorite stories submitted to this site involve doppelgangers, so I was really excited to see this movie. And boy the doppelgangers were awesome. They were scary and each a unique reflection of the character they were a clone of. I feel like the actors, who were uniformly fantastic, had a fun time playing them.
I’m sure some people will be curious as to how it compares to Jordan Peele’s 2017 movie Get Out. Get Out seemed to have a clearer message about society while this movie had a lot going on underneath the surface that will probably take me a while to piece together, so Get Out was definitely cleaner, though I wouldn’t say better. Us was also just more horror-y scary. So, in sum, they are two very different movies, both great.
Anyways, watch this movie, it will freak you out and get you thinking. It’s also funny, while still being a horror movie. It’s super well-crafted and overall a thrill to watch. 10/10
Spoiler-y thoughts below
“And to think, if it weren’t for you, I would have never danced.” I really fucking liked that line.
Okay, I feel like I’m not going to argue who’s driving when somebody is already in the front seat and we’re all being hunted by forces we don’t understand.
I knew there was something wrong with Adelaide when she was snapping way the hell off beat.
I felt a pang of sadness when the twins died. I didn’t particularly like them, but damn.
I really liked in the credits when the names of the tethered were in red. I also liked that they all had different names. I’m sure Jordan Peele has a backstory either on paper or in his head for all of them and why they have the names they have.
SCARY GHOST STORIES
25 Mar, 2019
Posted in Nightmares and tagged Real Poltergeist Facts 'Real Ghost Pictures' Supernatural Noices 'Real Ghost Stories' Paranormal encounter by cnkguy with no comments yet.