Find us on Google+

Newfoundland and Labrador

Wababa Mines, Bell Island, Newfoundland

 

Iron Ore Mines on Wabana, Bell Island. Iron ore was found here as far back 1578 but serious mining did not begin until the 1890s. These mines reached far beyond this island out three miles under the ocean floor. In 1950, the first mine was closed and the last one closed in 1966. Numerous tragic accidents seem to have lead to the paranormal activities. Apparitional miners have been seen by visitors both inside (which is now sealed off) and outside this place. An entire shift of specters has been seen by witnesses exiting one of the mines at the time shift change would have been set occasionally. It was featured on Creepy Canada.

Chez Briann Restaurant in St. John’s. When the building was originally used as an inn or apartments, a woman woke up in this building with a ghostly man floating above her. That woman was unable to move, and as she laid paralyzed, a strange man placed two coins over her eyes. He seemed to be preparing her for interment. In fact, this building was later a funeral home and is believed to be haunted by mournful families who entered there. Another woman’s specter has been seen by staff and visitors wandering the hallways. She has a long, jagged scar down her torso as if from a recent autopsy, but walks around as though nothing happened here. Perhaps this woman is unaware about being deceased. It was featured on Creepy Canada.

Hag with Two Faces on Dobbin’s Garden, Bell Island. This island is definitely a strange place of and in itself. A banshee is believed to wander this area and the surrounding marshland. They are reported to appear in two forms, as a beautiful woman dressed in white or as a frightening old hag. Local legend holds that men who have gone near this area have mysteriously gone missing for days at a time. When they finally emerge from the marshland, they are completely unaware about the time lapse. Their only memories are a putrid smell, and a grotesque old woman in ragged clothes crawling towards them from the bushes forcing them to the ground with the smell of death.

Headless Ghost of Queen’s Road in St. John’s. This spooky legend dates to 1745. Samuel Pettyham rented a house on the outskirts of town, and one night, as he was being driven home in a carriage from a friend’s house, the horse stopped and would not budge. Pettyham got out and offered to walk the rest of the way. Upon entering the laneway of his little house, he spotted what looked like a lantern carried by another person, so he hurried to meet them. When the figure stepped into the moonlight, Pettyham took one look and fled back up Queen’s Road, swearing he would never spend another night at the house. He claimed to have seen a tall man with his head completely severed, almost at the shoulder. The headless specter in question is the ship’s captain. He was in love with a beautiful woman who lived in Pettyham’s house on the outskirts of town. When he was at sea, the woman flirted with a local man, who was jealous and decided to rid himself of competition. One night, as the captain was leaving the little house, the other man cut his head of, close to the shoulders. The legend says the murderer was never tried, and now the headless captain’s soul still roams the site where he was murdered, looking for his killer. It was featured on Creepy Canada.

Robinson’s Hill in St. John’s. This place is said to be the location of the last official duel commenced. Too bad the last duel that was the one that broke the camels back. A report is said by witnesses that the loser’s ghost roams the streets. Ensign John Philpot was his name and he was an officer of a gentlemanly background. Captain Mark Rudkin and Philpot begun this duel over the affections of a Miss Colleen. Both men used pistols. The duel began on March 30, 1826. Philpot’s shot missed his intended target. Rudkin had fired aimlessly into the air in hopes to settle this disagreement but Philpot refused and prepared the second round. The second shot proved to be fatal for Philpot who was wounded and died a short time after. This spooky gun-shooting duel carries on and at night you may be able to catch a glimpse of the battle. The loser in this case came out the most memorable of the two gunmen and continues to be a legend here.Was featured on Creepy Canada.

Trinity. A red-cloaked woman’s specter and an apparitional hearse haunt a local cemetery. This ghostly woman is believed to be Nancy Coyle. Her occupation was to prepare the unwanted dead for interment during the 1840s, but many locals claimed she was a sorceress who could resurrect these corpses. It was featured on Creepy Canada.

 

 

by cnkguy
Newfoundland and Labrador

by with no comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close