Find us on Google+

July 2014

Ghost in Alcatraz
Brookside Theatre in Romford, Essex, chair moving

CCTV footage captures a  chair moving on its own

Recorded at Brookside Theatre in Romford, Essex, at around 4am on Sunday. This is the moment a chair was caught on CCTV camera seemingly to move on its own in the closed theatre justs hours after a psychic finished his show there.

Earlier medium Roy Roberts performed in the packed theater, he told the MailOnline he now believes the video could prove there’s a resident ghost.

“When I saw the footage I jumped up and said, yes, now we have proof!”

“I had a feeling earlier that there was the presence of something, a playful presence of a child, to one side of the room and it seems that must have been it,” he added.

“So it doesn’t surprise me, it’s that sort of a place, so when I heard about what had happened I was really excited.”

“There is no way anyone was in that theatre when the chair moves and there’s no way anyone can say it is staged. I’ve never seen anything like this directly caught on camera, this is something that is paranormal.”

“People can’t dispute this, they will try, but they can’t dispute it. I am 100 per cent sure that is energy.”

Mr Roberts said he is making plans to take a team of paranormal investigators to the theatre to investigate further.

Jai Sepple, who runs the 140-seat volunteer-run theatre, said that the ghostly goings-on were no surprise.

He said, “The only reason we checked the CCTV was because we came in on Sunday morning and the chair was out of line.”

“One of the last things I do when I lock up is line-up all the chairs so I knew something had happened. It had clearly moved.”

“There was also a table that moved but that’s harder to make out. I’m quite sceptical about all this kind of thing but my wife isn’t, she believes in it.”

“There have been several other things that have happened in the past, noises and creeks etc, but we’ve got used to it.”

“We’ve had a child’s footprints in the foyer, and one cast member said he thought he saw a strange figure once. He ran after it thinking it was a person, but the figure just disappeared and there was nowhere for it to go. He was quite shaken after the incident.”

“Another cast member says he was pushed into a toilet, and he’s quite a big guy so we don’t think a person could have done it.”

“Lots of people have been emailing us saying it is a fake, but I can assure you I’ve neither the time or the knowledge to do that.”



chase vault entrance

The Moving Coffins of Barbados

Barbados is an island in the southern Caribbean Sea and popular among tourists and travelers aboard cruise ships. It is less known for its mysterious burial vaults long known for the bizarre and unexplainable phenomena. Starting from the year 1807, the Chase Family Vault in the Christ Church Parish cemetery of Barbados, quickly gained fame as a hotbed of supernatural activity, and has become one of the most enduring mysteries on the island.

The Chase Family vault is a burial vault located on a hill overlooking the Caribbean Sea at the entrance to the Christ Church Parish cemetery, a colonial cemetery which is near the village of Oistin on the southern coast of Barbados. The vault was built half sunken into the ground and is made out of compacted blocks of the island’s coral, as well as concrete. The vault is entered via descending stone steps and sealed by an enormous slab of blue marble that required 6 or 7 men to move it.

The Chase Vault was originally constructed for a Mr. James Elliot in 1724 and had already been old when it was purchased in the year 1808 by the wealthy Chase Family of Barbados for use as a family tomb. The Chase family were disliked by the local people due to their eccentric behavior and cruel treatment of their slaves. The original owner, James Elliot, had never actually been buried within the vault and at the time of the purchase only one body was interred there, a Ms. Thomasina Goddard, who was housed there in 1807. Colonel Thomas Chase, the head of the family, decided not to disturb Goddard’s body and allowed it to stay within the vault. Goddard would not remain alone in the tomb for long.

In 1808, an infant born in the Chase family by the name of Mary-Anne Maria Chase, died and was laid to rest in heavy lead casket within the vault. In a tragic event, the infant’s own sister, Dorcas Chase, died under mysterious circumstances 4 years later in 1812. It has been said that her father’s abuse and cruelty had driven her to commit suicide by starving herself to death. Dorcas was also buried in the vault in a heavy metal casket. Death was not finished with the family just yet. In August of 1812, just a month after the death of his daughter, Dorcas, Thomas Chase died. His cause of death was also reported as suicide. Thomas Chase’s body then joined those of his two daughters within the vault when he too was buried in a very heavy metal casket that was said to weighed around 240 pounds and allegedly took 8 men to carry down and put in place.

According to most accounts, it was during the interment of Thomas Chase that the paranormal events started. Upon shifting the huge marble slab to bring in Chase’s casket, it was discovered that at some point the coffin of Dorcas Chase had mysteriously moved so that it was standing upright and upside down against one of the walls. The baby’s coffin was also moved against the wall.

No one else was known to have entered the vault since Dorcas’ death and the marble slab was exactly as it had been left. In addition, the coffins and the bodies had not been disturbed and nothing had been stolen. The incident was blamed on vandals and the coffins were put back in place, and the vault was resealed more secure than it had been before to deter any future break-ins.

The strange occurrence was quickly forgotten until 1816, when 11 year old Charles Brewster Ames was buried there. Again, upon entering the tomb, all of the coffins, including the enormous one of Thomas Chase himself, were moved about the room as if they had been tossed about like toys. Like before, there was no sign of tampering on the entrance. Several men worked to set the coffins back in their proper places and once again resealed the tomb.

The story began to take hold among the superstitious locals. Voodoo and ghosts stories began and it was said that the tomb was haunted, cursed, or both. One such story goes that a woman on horseback heard shrieks and groans coming from the tomb as she rode passed it. Her horse allegedly panicked, foaming at the mouth and nearly throwing the woman off. In the following days it reported that several other horses in the nearby village became insane and ran into the bay, where they drowned.

chase vault arrangment
Two more times the vault was reopened. Once in 1816 for Samuel Brewster and again in 1819 for a Thomasina Clark, and both times the coffins were found to be moved drastically from their original positions. In all of the cases, the only coffin that remained untouched and in its original position was the wooden casket of the vault’s original occupant, Thomasina Goddard. The old wooden casket had not only remained in its place, but had been missed and undamaged by the heavy lead coffins shifting around it.

The story caught the attention then governor of Barbados, Lord Combermere, who had been present at Clark’s funeral and had witnessed the bizarre occurrence himself. He ordered a thorough inspection of the tomb to look for any evidence to explain the strange events. The governor’s wife explained the investigation:

“In my husband’s presence, every part of the floor was sounded to ascertain that no subterranean passage or entrance was hidden. It was found to be perfectly firm and solid; no crack was even apparent. The walls, when examined, proved to be perfectly secure. No fracture was visible, and the sides along with the roof and flooring, presented a structure so solid as if formed of entire slabs of stone.”

After this examination of the vault, the heavy coffins were all restored to their original positions with great effort, To ensure that such a thing would not happen again, the governor had the marble slab completely sealed with mortar and additionally put impressions of his signet ring into the wet cement to discourage vandals. As an extra measure, the floor of the tomb was dusted with a fine, white sand in order to capture evidence of anyone breaking in to once again defile the coffins.

When 8 months had passed, the governor’s curiosity got the best of him and he ordered the vault to be reopened just to be sure. When he arrived with a party of men at the tomb, he was relieved to see that the mortar seal was unbroken, the ring impressions were intact, and there was no sign of trespassing. Satisfied that no one had broken in, a sort of macabre curiosity nevertheless compelled the governor to have the vault opened anyway. Immediately, it became apparent that something was awry. Oddly, Thomas Chase’s coffin had been thrown up against the marble entrance almost as if in an attempt to bar entry. It took many men to dislodge the heavy coffin and finally gain entry. What they found inside completely shocked all present. The coffins were once again in disorder, only this time evidently more violent than on prior occasions. Some of the coffins were described as being upended and tossed upon each other, and the infant Mary-Anne’s coffin had been smashed against a wall with such force that a chunk had broken off the corner.

And the coating of white sand upon the floor was completely undisturbed, with not a single footprint to be seen. There was no sign of flooding or any other disruption. Additionally, it seemed unlikely that any perpetrator could have exited past the large coffin that had been blocking the door. Nathan Lucas, a member of the Barbados House of Assembly at the time, was present and had this to say about the strange scene unfolding before him:

“…I examined the walls, the arch, and every part of the Vault, and found every part old and similar; and a mason in my presence struck every part of the bottom with his hammer, and all was solid. I confess myself at a loss to account for the movements of these heavy leaden coffins. Thieves certainly had no hand in it; and as for any practical wit or hoax, too many were requisite to be trusted with the secret for it to remain unknown; and as for the negroes having anything to do with it, their superstitious fear of the dead and everything belonging to them removes any idea of the type. All I know is that it happened and that I was an eye-witness of the fact…”

Afterwards the governor decided to put an end to the phenomenon once and for all. He went about ordering the interred bodies to be buried separately in individual graves throughout the Christ Church Parish cemetery. The Chase vault itself was ordered to remain vacant and no further bodies were ever buried there, and to this day it has remained empty.

No further unexplainable phenomena occurred at the vault after being emptied. Like other such mysteries of the supernatural, there have been many attempts to explain the events that happened at the Chase Vault. Theories range from the paranormal, such as ghosts or even that Goddard was a vampire, to the more rational explanations like seismic activity or underwater flooding. These “rational” explanations tend to come up short. If earthquakes are to blame, there would surely have been similar damage to other nearby tombs, of which there was none. Flooding also seems unlikely as such heavy caskets would be unlikely to float except in the most extreme cases, and there had been no sign of any in the vault.

Others believe the events that happened at the Chase Vault are neither paranormal but more mundane in nature. Some skeptics believe that the story is completely fabricated, that it is nothing more than a local myth, or even a hoax.

Whatever reason, there is no denying that the strange mystery of the Chase Vault endures. No explanations offered to date have managed to satisfy everyone and so the mystery of the Chase Vault remains essentially unsolved. What happened within the dark, subterranean confines of this eerie tomb all of those years ago? Perhaps we will never know for sure but for now, the tomb remains vacant.


Bolton Pub ghost

Bolton Pub Ghost caught on film

Tony Dooley, of Ye Olde Man and Scythe in Greater Manchester, feared his pub was haunted earlier this year when CCTV appeared to show a ghostly figure standing at his bar during the night.

He now says he’s been left with no doubt that there are ghosts in the pub after another video, shot by a tourist, emerged showing a second apparition.

The latest video was filmed by a Portuguese visitor to the area who was commenting on the original incident, which happened at the 763-year-old pub earlier this year.

As he describes the pub’s ‘haunted’ history, a strange flickering light appears at an upstairs window.

Manager Mr Dooley, says the footage has left him certain that he is living among ghosts.

He said: ‘I’m not too happy about it. That’s my apartment behind the window. My attitude before I became the manager nine months ago was not to believe in ghosts. I’m convinced now.’

He also said last week, he was awoken by what he thought was his partner’s pet dog, Kallie, licking his feet, but he looked over to discover the animal was asleep.

He also added: ‘My feet were clammy and wet, like sweaty palms only worse. I went straight to the bathroom and took a shower with the dog in the room making sure nothing else happened.’

He said: ‘It was creepy, but my attitude is as long the ghost doesn’t harm me then that’s fine.’

In February, Mr Dooley investigated smashing glass in the bar area overnight and saw a ‘figure’ appear on CCTV footage.

It is said that the pub, which is the fourth-oldest in Britain, has been haunted by the ghost of James Stanley, the seventh Earl of Derby and royalist.

It is said he spent the last hours of his life at the inn before he was beheaded in 1651 in the final months of the English Civil War.

Hundreds of soldiers and civilians were also killed outside the pub, which dates from 1251, during the Bolton Massacre in 1644.


Denfield House in St Helen’s Park

You can Buy his Haunted House for $1.2 million

One of Sydney’s most historic homes is on sale for $1.2million with its owners promising any prospective buyers they needn’t worry, it’s no longer haunted.

Denfield House in St Helen’s Park, in south-west Sydney, is listed for $1.2 million.

Built in 1837 the house was originally owned by John Farley, the man who first saw Fred Fisher’s ghost in 1826.

Later a female ghost reportedly haunted Denfield’s kitchen, she was allegedly a former owner would never go to bed until her husband was ready to join her.

The current owner Steve Laws said they had not experienced any supernatural incidents while living there.

Fred Fisher was an English-born Australian farmer from Campbelltown who suddenly disappeared in 1826.

Four months after he disappeared, Farley ran into the local hotel in a very agitated state claiming he had seen Fisher’s ghost sitting on the rail of a nearby bridge.

The legend of the ghost has been celebrated in an annual festival in Campbelltown in November and the creek beside which the body was discovered is known as Fisher’s Ghost Creek.

John Farley was an emancipist, one of many of the convicts transported under the convict system to Australia who had been given a conditional or absolute pardon, and arrived in Australia in 1812.

Farley started a farme and settled down with his wife Margaret in their new home, located on the 325 acre farm on the Appin Road.

Farley died in 1841, a year after he sold the sandstone brick house to judge John Bray.

The house stayed in the Bray family for many years and in 1866 Joshua Bray wrote and described a curious incident in the night.

“They are very much excited about here, the Mail was robbed ten days ago. The night before last they stopped it about a quarter of a mile from this house, the coachman and passengers came about 4 o’clock in the morning to tell us. These robberies take place in the night, they were hiding all their jewellery. Papa has loaded his pistol,” he said.

The colonial house, surrounded by a stone flagged verandah, has been ‘restored over time to present a wonderful family home’, Ray White real estate agent’s website says.

In about 1917 the Hickey’s bought the house and leased it to the Carroll family. It then became derelict until it was restored in 1964.

The listing on Ray White website adds: ‘Comprising of four bedrooms plus a study this home comes complete with a variety of different living areas.
‘Feel the warmth of the fireplace in the formal living or enjoy sun filled family areas.’


langley evans pic in his pub in Llamelli, West Wales

Pub landlord catches ghost on security camera

In this video a ghostly white shape floating down a hallway might look like it was taken from the latest science-fiction thriller, but in fact it was captured by a pub’s CCTV camera.

And the landlord said that this creepy footage is the proof he needed that his pub in Llamelli, West Wales, is haunted.

David Langley-Evans said he couldn’t believe it when he first saw the wispy shape appear in his hallway, and now he wants experts on the supernatural to have a look.

In the video the ‘spirit’ apparently appears from the ground, before becoming a more solid white shape and rising into the ceiling.

Mr Langley-Evans said: “I’ve seen it before with my own eyes but now I have proof and people believe me.”

“In the 10 years I’ve been at the pub I’ve seen all kinds of ghostly things going on.”

David and his wife Christine, said they have also seen a fish bowl sliding the length of the bar and fall off the end.

And they think the pub’s ancient cellar is to blame which dates back to 1830 for the unexplained happenings.

He said: ‘I often entertain our regulars with the weird and wonderful experiences we have. I’ve heard voices, seen orbs and all kinds of other-worldly things.

“I know this presence isn’t dust catching the light or an insect inside the camera. You have a sense while it’s happening that it’s a spirit. I just can’t explain it.”

Mrs Langley-Evans said: ‘We all think it’s something to do with the cellar. People go down there and sometimes come back up crying and refuse to go back down.

“But the whole place is spooky. There’s always been lots of banging and bumps in the night and when you go downstairs there’s no-one there.”

“When you go up again you get the feeling that someone is chasing you up the stairs.”


by cnkguy
July 2014

Posted in Monthly Posts by with no comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *