The Crypt of Laeken in Belgium
The abandoned crypt of Laeken in Belgium, is made up of three perpendicular tunnels following the graveyard paths on the surface. Many vaults, both occupied and empty line these tunnels and their inscriptions date from 1885 to 1978.
When the crypt was opened, the coffins placed into the underground vault were made of cheap wood. These coffins quickly broke up and liquefied. Because of this the city then required coffins to be made of zinc for the crypt to make them more resistant to corrosion.
Angel statue in the graveyard of Trzic, Slovenia
Teenager captures ‘ghost’ on iPod Touch on visit to 12th century abbey
A teenager taking snaps of some medieval ruins was left stunned when he caught a ghostly image on camera.
Lake View Cemetery
The largest and most important graveyard in Ohio is the Cleveland Lake View Cemetery. Located at 12316 Euclid Avenue on the city’s east side, it was founded in 1869, covers 285 acres, and contains more than 100,000 dead people, with about 700 added each year.
So many Italians stonemasons and gardeners immigrated to Cleveland to work in the new cemetery that the neighborhood they formed, Little Italy, still exists nearby.
The City Rock Cemetery, Nottingham.
Rock Cemetery is unlike most cemeteries in that it’s built out of sandstone rock and looks very much like an old style Necropolis with caves. Catacombs were built into a larger cave but they were never used.
The Cemetery was designed and laid out by Edwin Patchitt for the Church Cemetery Company and was opened in 1856. It lies north of the centre of Nottingham, England. The Cemetery was built on old sandpits, and slopes northwards towards the Forest with a deep natural hollow, called St Ann’s Valley in the north-east corner of the site. The entrance to the Cemetery is off the corner of Forest Road East and Mansfield Road between large stone gate piers and ornamental iron gates. The main processional path, cobbled by the entrance, leads north-westwards with, standing west of the entrance, a small brick and render lodge (c1865) with a slate roof and gable and porch bargeboards. The main path leads westwards with midway along the path a spur leading to the site of the Mortuary Chapel (demolished 1965.) A cottage adjoining one of the three windmills which formally stood on the site of the Cemetery was used as a temporary Chapel after the opening of the Cemetery and was subsequently demolished.
A Mortuary Chapel, designed by E W Godwin, was built in 1878-79 and opened in August 1879. The Cruciform Chapel with a central tower and pyramidal spire stood 210 metres from the south-eastern lodge of a spur off the main processional path. The layout of the Cemetery is determined by the sandstone rocks and old sandpits on which the Cemetery was created. It has four main areas: the terrace to the south with a straight promenade to the site of the Chapel; the section in the centre and north-west which is terraced and has ashlar retaining walls; the catacomb range in St Ann’s Valley in the east and the north-west corner which uses natural caves, cliffs and outcrops.
The main processional path along the top terrace runs east past a War Memorial (c1920, listed grade II) designed by Sir Richard Blomfield (1856-1942) built of Portland stone. Midway along the path a spur leads north to the site of the former Mortuary Chapel the main route continuing on the raised area of graves. The latter terrace has a number of fine Edwardian figure sculpture tombs. Another path runs northwards from the lodge to sandstone caves. This area has the most impressive Victorian monuments, several of which are set in rock. From the caves the path continues along a sunken path to a long ramp flanked by brick walls, part of the walls being contiguous with Forest Park. The ramp leads to St Ann’s Valley, a natural hollow made larger and strengthened for the building of catacombs and the long ramped entrance (1851-56, the remaining walls and stairway listed grade II). This earthmoving together with the formation of the mounds and terraces elsewhere in the cemetery was done by the unemployed poor in the late 1850s.The exposed bedrock of the Valley supports buttressed Gothic arches. Immediately at the bottom of the ramp are lines of paupers’ graves with stone slabs recording the names of the number of adults and children in each grave. South of the graves are the more scattered individual graves. A few ornamental trees are planted in the centre of the space. A tunnel links the Valley with the western part of the Cemetery.
The Octavius was discovered West of Greenland by a whaler on October 11th, 1775. Crew members of the Whaler Herald boarded the vessel, discovering the entire crew dead, frozen, apparently at the moment of their death. The Captain was found in his cabin frozen at his desk with his pen in hand, still writing in his log. He was accompanied by a dead woman, a child covered in a blanket and a sailor holding a tinderbox. The ship’s log showed that the frozen ship had been afloat for over 13 years.
Sheffield General Cemetery
The Sheffield General Cemetery in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. Abandoned in 1978.
Webster Wagner Mansion
Webster Wagner Mansion in Palatine Bridge, NY Built in 1876 for Webster Wagner, the inventor of the sleeping car for trains. Fate was unkind – Mr. Wagner died shortly after the house was completed in an unfortunate train accident.
Old Calton Graveyard, Edinburgh, Scotland
McFadden Homestead, built near the shores of Lake Okeechobee in FL, was probably no different than the others around it when it was built back in 1934. Today the house is just a ghost of it’s former self. Jeanne McFadden lived in the house her entire life. She died around 2006 approaching the age of 100. As her health deteriorated, so did her home. The reason the house hasn’t been sold or demolished is because she remained the title owner even after her death.
Ghost filmed at soccer game
This scary silhouette of a man was filmed running around the sideline of the field during a game between Racing and River Plate in Argentina.
This video posted on YouTube quickly received 10’s of thousands of views because it shows a ghost running in a stadium.
The image of a young man is clearly seen moving down the side of this soccer field in Argentina.
Strangely the crowd, and players don’t seem to notice the figure which was easily picked up on the camera.
31 Dec, 2014
Posted in Monthly Posts by cnkguy with no comments yet.